Some days back we happened to attend a very interesting talk by a learned man. Besides the other things he talked about, he told us some things about a pencil; simple things that we never happen to think about. But, they were very meaningful. So, though they are not a story we would like to share them with you all.
When a pencil is made, its maker gives it some instructions, before putting it into its box. These are:
1. Always allow another person to hold you in his or her hand. Do not try to slip or resist, only then the holder shall be happy to hold you. Without the holder you can do no work.
2. From time to time you will need to be sharpened. For that your head shall be inserted into a little tunnel with a blade. It shall be painful, but without it you shall be of no use.
3. Remember that you shall make mistakes. You shall be paired with an eraser. Once erased, you shall have the opportunity to correct your mistakes.
4. It is only when your head is down, that you shall be of use. If you stand with your head up, you can not write.
5. The most important part of you, is what is inside. Your outer is just a cover to protect the lead in you.
6. Remember to leave your mark, wherever you go.
Well, the instructions ended there, but did the lesson? No, read on …Give the same set of instructions to yourself and think of them like …
1. Always allow God to hold you. Be at ease, for when He holds you in the palm of His hand, you shall be in bliss.
2. Life shall put you through many difficult situations. If you bear them bravely, you shall come out a sharper and better person.
3. To err is human. Let mistakes not take the steam out of you. If you fall, just get up and dust the grime off your knees, you have to go on. Pair yourself with God. Without God you are a zero, with Him …..A hero!
4. Humility is like a jewel that adorns your personality. Keep your head bowed, vanity is like a killer disease.
5. You should be pure inside. A pure heart has no problem in communicating with God and God’s men. Do not fan your worldly desires, instead concentrate on looking within. Seek God within. He is sitting there in the innermost core of your heart, if you cannot find him there, you cannot find him anywhere.
6. Yes, try to leave your mark wherever you go, but remember that it should be a mark of goodness. When you came into this world, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when it is time for you to go, you are smiling and everyone else is crying.
Next time you have to use a pencil, don’t just set it aside without learning from it, the lessons it so silently and softly endeavours to teach.